I am happy and proud to say that I have been part of the Purica company for over a year now. Working for them is an absolute pleasure – the Duncan, BC based company is so well respected that I am constantly striving to make sure I hold the standard that they have worked so hard to build. The support I am given and the flexibility I have with my work schedule is absolutely invaluable to my triathlon career.
The word stress gets mentioned a lot these days when people talk about health and wellness. But until I began working for Purica and my life became more stress free and balanced I didn’t really understand how much stress was actually affecting my physical performance. Needless to say the 2014 race season was very disappointing, but that had something to do with a broken elbow and my training approach. 2015 is a new year and I am very excited to say that I am achieving numbers in training that indicate I am poised to have my best performances so far.
NOTE: I am still having trouble getting images up on my website so please excuse the lack of visual stimulation on yet another post.
For those of you that aren’t familiar with the Purica line of products I encourage you to have a visit to our website – http://www.purica.com/ – and talk to your local health food store staff. Recovery®, Cordyceps and Chaga were the products that initially sparked my interest in the company years ago. My thought at that time was that if I could get product sponsorship from these guys I really felt that I would benefit from a performance stand point. Their initial response was overwhelmingly generous and the relationship began.
At Purica we have a small line of products with the newest addition being a cardiovascular support product called Provascin. In January we had our staff training on the product, after that I did my own research on each of the individual ingredients. I am quite particular about what goes in my body and once I understood this product in detail I began taking it regularly.
When I get asked what supplements I take and tell people that outside of a bit of vitamin D I don’t really take any supplements. I don’t actually consider Purica products as supplements since I do not take them in order to replace of make up for anything lacking in my diet – I base my diet around vegetables and nutrient dense foods that I have found work best for my body and the demands of my sport. I use the Purica products for three main reasons:
- To mitigate exercise induced damage and speed recovery
- To keep my immune system as strong as possible
- To increase my mental state and sense of well being
I am lucky to have a relationship with Purica where I get access to their products and so I have been able to experiment with how I can use the products in order to get the most benefit from them. Here is an overview on how I use them and the benefits I am seeking from each:
- Most days in quantities of 3-5 caps (½-1tsp powder) at a frequency of 2 -3 times per day
- I don’t have a regimented structure of when I take it but I often it is 20-30 minutes before a meal
- Minimize exercise induced muscles damage
- Expedite recovery
- Increase my body’s receptiveness to an absorption of nutrition from the foods I eat
- Keeping the mucosal lining of my digestive system and entire body healthy and strong
Cordyceps, Chaga and the entire medicinal mushroom line:
- I focus on Cordyceps and Chaga as they stand to offer me the most cardiovascular and anti-oxidant support
- Adrenal glands are strengthened by Cordycpes
- Chaga has an ORAC value that is off the charts and therefore offers me unparalleled anti-oxidant protection
- I take anywhere from 4 to 10 of each Cordyceps and Chaga most days
- I also take Immune 7 almost daily in order to provide the most broad spectrum immune support for immediate and long term health
- I want to live well into old age and therefore I need to keep my heart and cardiovascular system as strong as possible so it can deal with and adapt to the inherent stresses of my professional racing career
- The benefits it offers for circulation are critical in helping my body detoxify and regenerate
- On my heaviest training days I take up to 8 caps
- Again, I don’t have a regimented structure for when I take my doses and the research shows that with CoQ10 for example it is most important to take it regularly in order to have it constantly circulating in the system
The points above begin to scratch the surface on how and why I use and love Purica products, but an encyclopedia could be written on the science and experiential based results that these products offer. As I continue to learn more about the products and hear success stories from happy customers I remind myself of how lucky I am to be part of the amazing group of people that run this company.